Taken from the Clan Information Board in the OOC Area of Twilight Muck.
- Devan (Who is no longer on the muck) 16:03:40 07/10/96 EDT
- The fabric of reality is held together be the massive force of belief. Popular opinion does count for something when you get down to it. However, the will of the individual does have some say in that which goes on around him. To change the threads of the fabric of reality in subtle ways, some might call coincidence. Some though know that coincidence rarely happend. Theese are the ones who call themselves Mages. They work thier wills into the fabric of reality to change it to thier benifit. With Magik, anything is possible, but at a price. All Magik has the potential of great backlashes against a Mage if he uses it in front of a Sleeper (normal mortal), as the force of the Sleepers belief in the nature of reality causes a paradox between what is happening and what should happen. The force of Paradox is more than a meer inconviniance. In high amounts, Paradox will burn a Mage from existance, attract a Paradox spirit, or creat a Paradox storm. That is why most mages must work thier magik to appear to be something coincidental, for the Sleeper will dismiss the effect as luck or chance.
- Mages have three vastly different philosophies among themselves.
- The Tradition Mages believe that they should use thier powers to slowly awaken the Sleepers.
- The Technocracy Mages believe that they should use "science" to shape reality for the betterment of mankind. For them, all science was once Magik, that they have taught to the Sleepers who accepted it as reality. The Technocracy believe that through thier carefull control of reality, reality will eventualy become a Utopia, but until then, needless death and destruction must happen to preserve the believability of thier version of reality.
- The Maurader Mages believe that everyone should awaken NOW! Thier Magik does not cause any Paradox, it causes Madness in themselves and others. They wish chaos to reign and a return to the Mythic age.
- Oh.. and one more group comes to mind.. the Nephandi.
The Nephandi wish to stop all assention, to kill and destroy, corrupt and manipulate. They want power as much as they want to cause pain. If it where within thier power, they would cause the compleat destruction of reality.
- More on Mages from Devan
- So how does Magik work anyhow? Good question!
- Magik is subdivided into area of knowlege know as Spheres. There are nine spheres that control all the forces of reality.
- Correspondance: Distance is relative, space a meer illusion. In reality all points exist at the same place, one just needs to learn how to percieve this. With knowlege in this sphere, one can see distant places, or even visit them. A master could even duplicate himself.
- Entropy: There is order in chaos. If one know what thread to pull, the tapestry will unravel before your eyes. Entropy if the force of randomness and decay. Entropy alows one to percieve the hiddin flaws, and take advantage of them. Luck is no longer relevant, as randomness is understood and controlled.
- Forces: Everything is made of energy.. One must know how to control this. With Forces, a mage can percieve, manipulate and create the primal energies of the universe. All energy except that of a living being or a spirit is under the command of Forces. Electical, heat, light, kenetic, all this and more.
- Life: One can create or repair any living thing if one knows the proper pattern. With the power of life, a Mage can percieve the life around him, repair damage modify living creatures, or even make new ones. A Master can even make
human bodies (although they are mindless)
- Matter: Anything can be made from the ambient energies of Reality. A Matter Mage can create, destory or change anything physical that is not alive. The greater ones skill, the more complex the items the Mage can create.
- Mind: Once you can understand your own mind, it is only a small step to understanding all others. Mind is the power to increase your own self awarness, and be aware of others. Mind reading, mental telepathy, and out right mind control is possible with this Sphere.
- Prime: There is an unseen energy to everything in reality, the Quintessence. This power is control over the energy that reality's fabric is fashioned from. It is nessicary to know a little about Prime in order to create lasting items with matter and life, or to create energy from nothing with forces. With prime, one can create items with magikal abilities, and even manipulate the forces of Paradox!
- Spirit: There is another world beyond our own. Just open your eyes and see. With Spirit, one can see into the mysterious world of the Umbra, and even travel through it. A Spirit Mage can see and converse with spirits.
- Time: Time is in your mind. With time, the past is as clear as the present, and the possible futures are forseeable. Time can be changed, slowed or sped. A Master can even visit the past of future...
- Mages in action (More from Devan)
- Devan is a Tradition Mage. He is walking around town and descides to take
a shortcut through an alley. Suddenly, a couple of street toughs appear infront
of him and swing thier baseball bats menicingly. Devan knows that useing
overt Magik will likely hurt him as much as it hurts the thugs, so he has to
think a bit. One tough cracks Devan on the head while he's distracted, and
Devan slumps down. He is hurt bad, but still awake, so he descides to
use his Magik to heal himself. Luckily, the wound isn't visible, so his
Magik is explainible by the fact that Devan has a really hard head. The
thug leans over Devan with a evil grin. Devan wants to hurt the punk, but
doesn't have any weapons. With his Forces, Devan can really give this guy
a shock he'll never expect. Devan slams his closed hand into the thugs gut
and sparks leap from his hand. As far as Reality is concearned, Devan has a
stun gun in his closed fist, so that there is no Paradox formed.
- Devan gets up and sees that the other thug has pulled a gun, and to top that
off, yelling can be heard behind him as more gangers arrive to pummle him.
With only one witness, Devan believes that discression is the better part
of valor. Useing his Correspondance Magik, Devan teleports to his safe
house, a run down abandoned building. The force of the thugs belief that
a person can't just vanish causes a tear in reality, and Paradox. A small
amount of Paradox is fine, but it must get bled off. Devan suddenly goes
blind (a paradox flaw) a condition that will last an hour or so until he
is back to normal. The paradox is bled off by the flaw, but leaves Devan
in the dark to think about what might have happened...
- Duncan_Macleod -- Immortals Interaction with Others -- 13:00:35 09/25/96 EDT
- Hello there. I felt that after Brujah's mention of the web page, that I should tell my fellow Immies how to interact on here. Well, here goes:
These beings and Immortals don't mix. Mages will try to get an Immortal's Quickening so to empower themselves. Immortals are immune to Prime and Life spheres. Immortals don't stick to any clan or tribe. Mages' nodes are Holy Ground, but Immies will feel uncomfortable in a place where folks will want his or her head.
- Big_Kitty (aka Jared) -- Suggested do-sense settings for Mages. -- 23:10:06 11/06/96 EST
- Okay, some suggested things to set for Mage:The Ascension type Mages.
- To use these at all, you need to do this:
- Mages can sense Nodes so for anyplace that is designated a node, you can set the following:
- Then the mage can type the following:
node?:--This is a Node!--
- Mages store free Quintessence in their Avatars and in their bodies, so a Mage should:
- Mages with at least one level in the Sphere of Prime can detect the free quintessence stored by a Mage, so should do the following:
prime?:--You sense a Mage nearby!--
Return to Clan Information Center
Last Updated on 10 February 1999
This maintained by Amanda "Ursula" Geyer. I have no life. Stuff within my pages are © Amanda Geyer, or the poster (who is credited per post), whichever is applicable.